Wednesday, May 12, 2010

World of Landline...


After long time sitting in the office and relatively non busy day made me think out of the box, Thinking why the hell my cordless phone look the same since last 10-15 years?

Reason behind thinking-
  1. All other electronics I use changed drastically over period of 10-15 years. TV - from huge box to smart sleek LCD, Computer - my 1st comp was 100 MHz, 600 MB HDD, 124 MB RAM and now my phone got way better config, Radio player, Cassette player, cell phone, AC, etc etc. So the point is everything changed not my cordless phone. Its still the same.
  2. Telecom industry is ever growing, why didn't they do anything with landlines.
  3. Did they finish their evolution life cycle?
  4. Or its just the politics by telecom players to sell cell phone and other new things and phase out old things? Now I have to think there is absolutely no need for me to have landline.
What they could have done
  1. Provide additional feature in new cordless - take any cell phone OS as example.
  2. My cordless phone system sucks. I can't figure out simple things from their menu. Saving and using address book is such pain.
  3. Why cordless phone cost so much? Rs 2000 cell phone also have better features.
So why I am keeping my landline number?
  1. It used to be price, for long talk it was cheaper but I think that gap is also over, point of fact I don't even know how much is the charge for landline phone call.
  2. It's there since so long time, everyone got this number so just for that sack. (Although I never get any phone calls there)
  3. Fax - till now cell phone cant take fax but there are alternatives like Fax to email etc and in few years fax system will phase out.
  4. My net connection provider is landline phone company, but I think they provide without number too now so lets see.
So basically I can not find any reason to keep my landline number and time to say bye bye in near future unless they don't give something new. Or I have to accept the fact that it was old technology like floppy disc or cassette player and needed to phase out. R.I.P. LANDLINE PHONE.

No comments: